7 interesting facts about Haiti

7 interesting facts about Haiti

Haiti, more officially the Republic of Haiti, is a country sitting at the tropical Caribbean Sea and part of the island of Hispaniola, in the Greater Antilles chain of islands that include Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and Cuba. Its territories span 27,750 square km occupying the smaller western three-eighths of the island that it shares with the Dominica republic. It has a population of 11,067,777 and the languages majorly spoken are French and Creole. Christopher Columbus discovered the Republic of Haiti, and the indigenous Taino people originally inhabited it. The land’s natural beauty and diversity are unique and famous in the world. Let us dive into the interesting facts about Haiti:

1: Poorest country in the Western Hemisphere

There are only two remarkable classes that are distinct among the Haitians: the upper and lower classes. 80% of Haitians live in extreme poverty. Because of its state of poverty, nearly half of the population is illiterate, and half of them do not attend school. In addition, the extreme state of poverty, very poor health facilities and hygiene, cause the deaths of over 10% of children before the age of five.

2: Haiti is associated with slavery

Haiti is believed to be founded by slaves that were shipped to the Caribbean from Africa. 95% of Haiti’s population comprises descendants of African slaves. The remaining 5% are mulattos, descendants of whites, French planters, and African slaves.

3: Voodou is an official religion in Haiti

Voodooism was introduced and practiced in Haiti during the 17th and 18th centuries. This religion believes more in ancestral spirits. Haiti is the only country in the world that recognizes voodoo in such away. Surprising enough is that they beg their gods to reveal to them the winning lottery in their voodoo ceremonies.

4: Cockfighting is also very popular in Haiti

Haitian citizens recognize roosters and even practice them during their voodoo ceremonies. They are also engaged in the cockfight, where the winning party is awarded an estimate of $67. They feed the cocks with pepper soaked in rum and raw meat to make them tougher.

5: Haiti is a mountainous country

Haiti is a word that comes from the Taino people’s description of their island, “Ayiti.” The word Ayiti is translated as “Land of Mountains.” Haiti has more mountains than any of the Caribbean nations. The highest peak is the Pic la Selle, at 8,793 feet (2,680 meters) above sea level. Citadel is the largest fortress and is situated on a large mountain top. It is a popular and significant site of tourist attraction.

6: It is a country with no Railroads

Out of 1000 people in Haiti, only 5 own a car. Communal taxis or Taptap buses are used commonly by people as means of transport. Only 4 out of the 14 airports in Haiti have paved runways. Surprisingly enough, Haiti does not have railways.

7: Experienced the worst earthquake in over 200 years

In the year 2010 January, Haiti experienced a devastating earthquake where over 200 000 Haitians died and millions were left homeless. The earthquake was of a magnitude of 7.0 and hit 15 miles from Port-au-Prince, Haiti’s capital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.